Every person has a value and dignity which comes directly from their creation in God’s own image and likeness. Christians see this potential as fulfilled by God’s re-creation of us in Christ. Among other things, this implies a duty to value all people as bearing the image of God and therefore to protect them from harm.
Principles of safeguarding followed by All Saints Church Wokingham
We are committed to:
• The care, nurture of, and respectful pastoral ministry with, all children and all adults
• The safeguarding and protection of all children, young people and adults when they are vulnerable
• The establishing of safe, caring communities which provide a loving environment where there is a culture of ‘informed vigilance’ as to the dangers of abuse.
• Carefully selecting and training all those with any responsibility within the Church, in line with safer recruitment principles, including the use of criminal records disclosures and registration with the relevant vetting and barring schemes.
• Respond without delay to every complaint made which suggests that an adult, child or young person may have been harmed, co-operating with the police and local authority in any investigation.
• Working with anyone who has suffered abuse, developing with him or her an appropriate ministry of informed pastoral care.
• Challenge any abuse of power, especially by anyone in a position of trust.
• Offer pastoral care and support, including supervision and referral to the proper authorities, to any member of our church community known to have offended against a child, young person or vulnerable adult.
In all these principles we will follow legislation, guidance and recognised good practice.
All Saints Church is currently in the process of updating our Safeguarding Policy and Summary Policy statement. A revised and updated policy and summary statement will be published by the Parochial Church Council on Wednesday 3rd October 2018.
The draft version of our revised and updated Safeguarding Policy is here. You are invited to submit any comments or questions comment using the form below ahead of its consideration by the Parochial Church Council. Thank you.
Here is the currently adopted summary statement of our safeguarding policy. However, this also is in the process of being updated and the new one due for publication on 3rd October 2018
All Saints Wokingham Parish Safeguarding Policy: Summary Statement
PARISH OF Wokingham All Saints, Berkshire in the Diocese of Oxford
This is the current summary of our policy on safeguarding adopted by the All Saints Wokingham Parochial Church Council. It is due for renewal and updating in October 2018
We commit ourselves to nurture, protect and safeguard all our members, particularly our children and young people and vulnerable adults.
We recognise that our work with children, young people and vulnerable adults is the responsibility of the whole church community.
We accept and endorse the principles of the Children Act 1989 and the House of Bishops’ Policy Statements (1999 and 2004) and the Oxford Diocesan Handbooks.
We undertake to exercise proper care in both the selection and appointment, and the support, of those working with children and vulnerable adults, whether paid or volunteer.
We wish to support parents and carers who have responsibility for bringing up children and have the care of vulnerable adults.
Copies of the Church of England’s House of Bishop’s Policy Protecting All God’s Children, and the Oxford Diocesan Handbook, Safeguarding Handbook for the Protection of Children & Vulnerable Adults, and our All Saints Church Wokingham PCC Vulnerable Adult and Safeguarding Child Protection Policy is held by the Parish Office.
Judi Arnold and Tom Lochhead have been appointed by the PCC as Safeguarding representatives to monitor compliance of these policies and procedures, and carry out the roles of Appointing Body nominee, DBS Verifier. Judi Arnold is Children’s Advocate.
The PCC shall review this policy annually.
If you have any questions or comments about safeguarding at All Saints Church please contact us using this form